Merchandisers have to perform a very hard task in their profession. They have to coordinate with all the concerned departments of manufacturing factory, suppliers, logistics and the buyer in order to satisfy consumers by delivering specified goods of specified quality on designated date. He needs to cut a balance between quality, lead time, delivery schedule and price of the merchandise. He also takes the responsibility of securing order, sourcing materials and constant follow up with the customer. She/he organizes material purchasing, follow-up of production, costing, quality and delivery schedule under tight deadlines.
Skill and Knowledge that a Merchandiser requires:
A merchandiser must have the following skills:
1. They must be educated, intelligent, smart and courageous to absorb all technical terms and conditions involve with apparel industry.
2. They must have sound proficiency in English, both written and spoken.
3. They must have sound knowledge in basic computer application.
4. They must have a basic idea of fiber, yarn, types of fabric, fabric construction, dyeing, printing, finishing, fabric defects, fabric replacement due to bad quality, fabric consumption, color fastness, costing, and pricing.
5. They should be familiar with trims and accessories required for garments, their source, costing, and pricing etc.
6. They must have knowledge of garments construction, size specification, and quality requirements etc.
7. They must be familiar with sampling procedure, garments specification, and modern fashion trend.
8. They must be able to work under pressure, hard worker and self-motivated.
9. They must be able to work in time and take necessary action to reach the goal.
10. They must have the skill of order negotiation and bargaining with the customers and suppliers.
11. They should know lab test procedure and standards of fabric and other materials.
13. They must be able to coordinate with the entire related departments.
14. They must be capable of working in a team and adjust to any new organization.
15. They must be a person who is committed to complete customer satisfaction.
16. A merchandiser must be competent in quick response regarding their assign job.