Fashion is one sort of beautiful creativity to fulfill the urge of something new and latest trend for a human being. Fashion may be imagination, inspiration from nature, and a thought and a hard work of a team or a designer alone. As a social mechanism, the fashion diffusion process may be structured into phases which are similar to both general product life-cycle and product diffusion processes.
Fashion is the attraction of modern dress adopted by a large group of people. Fashion is generally transient of short-lasting in nature and involves continuous change. Fashion incorporates short term trends and fats. Fashion does not, however, include only dresses but also includes jewelry, cosmetics, music, footwear, furnishings, etc. nearly all of the human activities. Fashion is also defined as a way of social behavior by a recognizable group of people when that behavior is perceived to be socially appropriate for the time and situation. Fashion essentially has three characteristics.
Let’s discuss fashion characteristics to enhance your knowledge.
- Style: It is a unique look with a dress to enhance someone personality.
- Change: It’s a natural trend that common people have an urge to change, and they try to be fed up with what they have. Such behavior of people creates an opportunity to change their lifestyle. It eventually leads to change in fashion.
- Acceptance: When a large number of people buy and wear a style, it means they have accepted the style. This style then becomes a fashion. So acceptance by a large group of people is an essential element of a style becoming a fashion.
Change in fashion and fashion cycle:
Fashion incorporates continuous change. Some garments, however, can retain their style elements for a long time and undergo change very slowly, but some other items come like a tornado and also vanish very quickly. Classics and fads are examples. But recurring means going back and forth in time for stimulating creativity.
- Classics: These are dresses which can retain their style for a very long time and hardly become obsolete. This is true for T-shirt, Basic shirts, Trousers etc. Such fashions are called classics.
- Fads: Fads are such garments which have quite short fashion life. They appear and vanish in a single season. Hot pants, baggy pants are examples.
- Recurring: Fashion designers are frequently going back and forth in time for stimulating creativity. It has been observed that some fashions come back years later and reintroduced in target group newly. Thus, some 60s, 70s, 80s design already back and being used on apparels.
Fashion has a period of lifetime. When computed and drawn on a paper, the sequence shows up as a bell-shaped curve. This mainly has five phases:
- Development stage
- Introduction of a Style
- Growth in Popularity
- Mature of Popularity
- Dismissal of a Style
The fashion product life cycle is shown below:
- Development stage: It is a primary stage to introduce any design. In this stage, someone imagines and sketch a design. Developers generate new models by changing basics such as symmetrical and asymmetrical balance, color, fabric, line, shape, trimming etc. and their association to one another.
- Introduction of a Style: Usually, designers introduce their research and creative ideas by making an appeal or accessories and then launch those new styles to the public. Developers generate new designs by changing basics such as symmetrical and asymmetrical balance, color, fabric, line, shape, trimming etc. and their association to one another. Production in small quantities gives a designer more flexibility, freedom, room for creativity, imagination, and temperament. Most of the time, new style comes to market at a high price level because those are produced in a small quantity.
- Growth in Popularity: When a new lucrative dress introduced by a fashion designer and worn by some choose celebrities and rich guys, who have enough money to do an experiment and habituate to get media attention. Mass people influenced by it that may draw attention in buyers, press or public. Most designers wish to sell their items at reasonable prices. The price takes a downward slope with time when the demand and supply go parallel. Furthermore, an increase in popularity of a style may depend on copying and modification. Some manufacturers may redesign their style by adding less expensive fabric and sell all the styles at lower prices.
- Mature of Popularity: When a fashion or a particular design reaches, the height of its optimum level is called peak or matured stage. It may create much demand that inspires many producers to copy or modifications to drivers it at many price levels. By copying some designers became pleased, but others may become angry. There is a clear distance between modifications and knock-offs. Bulk production demands the possibility of mass acceptance. So, producers suspiciously analyze sales trends and consumer’s feedback before step into mass production because their customers want comfortable, durable, and reasonable clothes that are in the mainstream of fashion.
- Dismissal of a Style: In the final stage of the fashion cycle when users lost their passion for those design and turned to new trendy dresses is called obsolescence phase. The rejection, discarding, dismissal, or disposal of a style that occurred just because it is out of fashion or failed to generate customers attraction is also called consumer obsolescence. In this stage, manufacturers stop production, and retailers lost appeal due to consumers have no more interest.
There are three ways of spreading fashion in society.
- Trickle-down theory or Traditional fashion adoption: In this case, fashion spreads from top end of society and reaches to the street. An example may be fashion developed in Rome then spreads to third-world capitals.
- Trickle up or Reverse adoption: In this case, fashion flows from the street to the top end. Jeans pant is a cute example.
- Mass dissemination or Trickle across theory: People like to do fashion. Fashions are copied across the mass people. In this case, when someone introduces any new fashion, other people may feel interest to adopt it.
You may like: Career Opportunities in Fashion Industry