Pattern section should be well equipped to get an optimal result in sample development as well as bulk production. Garment manufacturers have to provide all necessary pattern making tools and supplies to pattern-makers to work efficiently. To minimize errors and misunderstanding the pattern maker should know and recognize some terminology related word with pattern-making tools for getting better communication with the coworkers.
Let’s know Pattern Making Tools and Their Function in details:
There are different sort of pattern making tools exist which are vastly used in the apparel industry. I have tried to compile their entire name with their functions and specifications in details:
- Dummy Doll
- Digitize table,
- Black twill tape,
- Curve rules,
- Pencils and pens,
- Metal weight,
- Measuring tape,
- Magic mend scotch tape,
- Hanger hooks or ringers,
- Push pins,
- Normal Table
- Tracing wheels,
- Straight pins,
- Straight pin holder,
- Tailor’s chalk
- Awl or hole maker
- Miscellaneous Tools
The entire above pattern making tools have explained in the below with their function:
1) Dummy Doll: It is one of the most important parts in the pattern section. Dummy doll helps pattern maker to fix garment measurement accurately. It also helps to make pattern grading from one size to another size.
2) Digitize table: Sometime buyer may send paper pattern to copy and develop sample. It is one sort of pattern table which can transform manual paper pattern to computerized digital pattern.
3) Black twill tape: Black twill tape is used for the placement of style lines on garments.
4) Curve rules: French curve is a bunch of curve rules used for shaping armhole and neckline. This is made of clear plastic. It helps in marking shapes of the neck, depth of sides and bottom of the garments.
5) Pencils and pens: Pencil is used for marking on pattern paper. Particular color pens and pencils are used to accomplish a particular task. Usually red, black, green and blue felt tip pens are used for pattern information. But Red and blue colored pencils are used to identify pattern changes. Mechanical pencil and sharpener are used for pattern work.
6) Rulers: It is one of the best devices for taking long straight measurements. It is mostly used for checking grain lines and marking hems. Tailors square (24 × 14) inch metal ruler with two arms forming a 90® angle that measures, rules, and squares simultaneously that is also used to triangle with the measurements to straight lines.
7) Metal weight: Metal weight is a big iron to keep upon the pattern papers for tracing and marking perfectly.
8) Measuring tape: It is a unique tool for taking body measurements. It is 152 cm or 60″ long with measurements on both sides. Measuring tools are the most essential things in making a garment pattern. It is used to measure the size of the pattern. The success rate of garment construction mostly depends upon in taking accurate measurements of the subject and by using the appropriate tool for pattern making.
9) Magic mend scotch tape: It is used to patch pattern work. It will help to attach pattern paper with a dummy.
10) Hanger hooks or ringers: It is used to hold the patterns together for hanging on rods. It helps to keep pattern papers well.
11) Push pins: Push pins are used for pattern separation and segregation. It also prevents pattern paper slippage when cutting several piles of paper together.
12) Notcher: It is used to indicate seam allowance, center line and also to identify front and back of patterns. These indications help sewers to assemble garment parts promptly.
13) Normal Table: Normal flat or 45° vertical table helps to cut and develop paper patterns quickly.
14) Tracing wheels: It is used to transfer pattern shape into the paper to develop sample.
15) Straight pins: Dressmaker used it for wrapping and fitting.
16) Straight pin holder: Pincushion or magnetic holder which is used for wrist and table.
17) Scissors: There are different types of scissors such as paper scissor, pinking scissors, embroidery scissors, big scissors for fabric cutting etc.
18) Tailor’s chalk: Tailor’s chalk is used for making adjusted seams and style lines. It is made of china clay and is available in different colors. It is used for marking the paper patterns on the cloth. Alterations and construction markings are drawn using tailor’s chalk.
19) Awl or hole maker: It is used to indicate the ending of darts, pocket, trim and buttonhole placements. It is a sharp-edged instrument with a handle. This is used to make buttonholes.
20) Miscellaneous Tools: Besides this, some other tools and equipment’s may be required in patter section like anti-cutter, rotary cutting wheel, adjustable seam gauge, adjustable ruler etc.