Some preliminary steps would be followed before marker making to gain optimum margin in bulk production. Nowadays modern technology and equipment are used to increase marker efficiency. If it is not available, then manual method is used to do marker making. Fabric natures, standards of fabric consumption, grain line direction and characteristics of pattern pieces are the main factors that affect on marker efficiency. The common tricks which are being used for marker making are to enhance its effectiveness that has described below.
* Cutting Table: marker planner should consider the cutting table length and width before start marker making. Cutting table length must be more than the marker length for smooth operation.
* Fabric part: an expert marker maker should amalgamate all significant parts together during marker making and then insert other small parts into the gap of the marker to enhance its effectiveness. The more fabric saving means more possibility of profit margin. They have to realize that about 90% marker efficiency is desired to the garments manufacturers. So should try their level best effort to get optimum margin.
* Fabric Faults: marker man should consider fabric quality report during marker making. If any defect found in the fabric roll and it was marked by the quality team that points must be avoided to keep good quality in production and to minimize the fabric wastage. Sometime shading marker is allowed for B grade or C grade fabric.
* Marking Grain Line:the grain line of pattern and fabric must be marked before start marker making. Grain Line direction is a factor to optimize marker efficiency.
* Fabric Measurement: fabric width must be measured carefully before marker making. Marker width mostly depends on the fabric width to minimize material loss. Moreover, fabric ply should be 1” (one inch) bigger than marker width to remove rough fabric edge.
* Fabric Nature: fabric nature is another issue that has to think for marker making. Some fabric finishing is smooth and solid, but some fabric finishing is rigid and plaid. Sometimes plain fabric can be set vertically instead of horizontally if it is not visualized roughly to increase marker efficiency.
Greater fabric saving after lower total cost would normally result from cutting a stepped lay with paper markers on top.
However, for the greater interest, a marker maker needs to work with freedom and efficiently, but for maintaining decent quality, some criteria must be followed by him. That is why there are some limitations of marker making. Qualified marker man is required to improve the marker efficiency as profit margin mostly depends on it.