As we know, embroidery is an artistic process of decorating fabric or other substance with needle and thread or yarn. Embroidery may also integrate with other materials such as pearls, beads, quills, metal strips and sequins. An attribute of embroidery is the basic techniques or stitches of the earliest work of running stitch, satin stitch, chain stitch, buttonholes or blanket stitch; cross stitch remains the simple techniques of hand embroidery today.
There is numerous embroidery techniques has invented to make lucrative wearers. Those embroidery stitches usually known as split stitch, stem stitch, couching, whip stitch, ladder stitch, laced coral stitch, cross stitch, upright cross stitch, herringbone stitch, chevron stitch, cloud filling stitch, feather stitch, lazy daisy stitch, fly stitch, seed stitch, French knot, bullion knot, colonial knot, Star Stitch, Padded Satin Stitch, long and short stitch, running stitch, and back stitch etc. Please find a Dropbox link to know different types of embroidery stitches,techniques, and features with meaningful visual sketches:
Early age when decorative embroidery task mainly did by hand stitch at home, which was very tough? Currently different types & quality of embroidery task doing by modern embroidery machine easily. We can just classify this embroidery functions based on the stitch features & stitching way such as:
1) Line Stitch: Single or double line stitches are used for outlining and detail work. Many kinds of Line stitches are being used such as Running stitch, back-stitch, outline stitch, whipped running stitch, stem stitch, beam stitch and couching. There is more line stitch like coral stitch, scroll stitch, walking stitch, Portuguese Knot stitch etc.
2) Satin Stitch: Satin stitch or column stitch is known as straight stitch that is taken right next to each other, close as much as necessary to cover up the fabric underneath. It is consists of zigzag stitch that laid down very closely together at any angle and ideal for lettering or outlining. Its width and density are very important to keep the quality.
3) Jump Stitch: Usually, an embroidery design consists of several segments. Jump stitch is an easy way to that is used to join one segment to another segment without trimming. It can jump about 20mm to accomplish the design.
4) Tatami Stitch: It is used to cover a large area by stitching. Tatami Stitch known as fill stitch to all. Many kinds of Tatami stitch are used for decoration, and it can be different in pattern, direction, dimension and angle.
5) Chain Stitch: It is a kind of stitch that is used again and again in the direction as it is a flat stitch. It is a prime stitch for lines and curves. It can be thick or thin depending on the thread we will use. The stitches are in motion closely together and can be stitched in any direction to make a significant design.
6) Zigzag Stitch: It is a stitching process which ahead according to cross the line and runs to and fro to accomplish the decorative task.
7) Motif Stitch: It is a process where we can modify the stitch length & its density which is not possible by another stitch way. Motif stitch mainly used to make a magnificent design. Cross Stitch, Crochet Stitch, Doodle Stitch, Knitting Stitchesare some pattern to make different types of Motif stitch.
8) Underlay Stitch: It is used as a solid ground of the most embroidery patterns to make the basement. Underlay stitches need to put down earlier before implementing other stitches to make the embroidery part stable with the lining and finally raise the design to make it perfect.
9) Applique embroidery: Applique is a meaningful decorative form which made by fabric or other substance and later sewn by an embroidery machine. Applique mainly used to make a magnificent design and ideal for lettering or outlining.
If you become satisfied by reading this post; you can show your regards by spreading it in social media such as Facebook, Twitter or Google+, or share it in stumble upon by hitting like button. Stay tuned with us to get such useful articles. We are always committed to deliver you more secrets regarding apparel industry.