On-time shipment is a key indicator of any garment industry. Frequent delivery failure will demolish company’s image. All arrangement will become valueless if factory can’t keep target delivery date. Factory has to do final inspection by buyer representative or assigns quality before goods departure. It’s a mandatory task to accomplish any shipment. But it’s a common scenario in the apparel industry that they sometimes cannot do full inspection due to the shortage of finished garments. At that time, people of packing department ran to and fro to find the balance quantity. Some
of them hardly tried to match all sizes as per ordered size ratio by searching meeting room, merchandiser’s cabinet, washing plant, production floor or factory QC room.
But anyhow goods departure has to go on time. Otherwise, it will make bad effect on company’s reputation. Then factory has to request buyer QA to do inspection whatever they have. Many pieces are still not there. They assure QA guy that balance quantity will be arranged within a short time. But it’s not easy to manage missing quantity once any style runs out from the production floor. It will happen due to the misunderstanding of all concern departments. We will offer a format to overcome such hassles. A format like order tracking status will help to keep evidence of each and every piece. Please find the format that will assist you to handle an order break
How to use Order Tracking Status?
An organization can implement the following culture to prevent such ridiculous situation. Concern person of each department has a responsibility to dispatch buyer requested order quantity. Proper use of order tracking status will reduce the risk of missing garments in production processes.
1. Merchandiser: Merchandiser is the key person who can contact directly with the buyer directly and get the order break down first. Merchandiser has to make an order tracking status (OTS) and forward it to all concern departments for easy follow-up. The file should contain style name, color wise quantity, country wise quantity if exist and break down of each size. Merchandiser has to update buyer regularly regarding production process once receive any order by making production status report (PSR).
2. Planning department: Once merchandiser got any order they should send it to the planner to input in plan board. Later if any amendment did in order sheet by the buyer, merchandiser has to inform it to planner first because production people always obey planner’s instruction. If any discrepancy found between OTS and plan sheet production people will be confused. Production floor has to submit daily production report to the planning department, and planner will input those data in plan board. Then they can track total output quantity, defect quantity and inform management to take necessary action. Well relationship between merchandiser and planning department can reduce big hassle in the production process.
3. Cutting department: Cutting section has a big role to execute any order status. Once cut down any size and color, they have to fill up OTS format properly. Then they should do numbering, bundling and check those cut panel through cutting QC. They should mark and replace faulty parts that rejected by cutting QC. After that, if the garment has printing or embroidery then they should send it to that department to do the ornamental task. Then they should send it to the production floor. If production floor returns any faulty or rejected panel, cutting section has to replace those immediately. Otherwise, garments missing incident will frequently arise during the final inspection. They have to make sure cut quantity and balance quantity while maintaining OTS. Cutting section has to keep signed copy once dispatch any challan to the production floor.
4. Production department: As they have OTS, so production floor should make sure that cutting department is following OTS properly. If any short-cutting happened due to the shortage of fabric, they should notice it to factory manager for action. Besides this when they will forward complete garments to washing or packing section, they should count how many pieces are delivering and keep a record. If any loss or defect parts found in the production process, they should mark it for replacement.
5. Packing section: If garment got damaged, lost or stolen from the production process, it will visualize at the end of the process. Packing guy has to suffer much at that time. Packing section has to maintain tally sheet while they received finished garments from production floor to meet color wise and size wise order quantity. If they got short quantity from the production floor, they should mark it in OTS to erase hassle from final inspection. Please find a daily production report format from my google drive link. Please hit the link to download your desired file.
Conclusion: Factory should have sound recording system to track each and every piece that is going to the production floor. Factory can implement some ERP software like SAP, Tally, Dynamic X, HRMS, Fast React, CRM, SCM solutions etc. to make easy all of these functions. If any incident happened in production process like getting damaged in sewing line, shortage due to lack of fabric or accessories, garment scratch in washing plant, major quality fault found in finished items etc. should be marked in the system and notice it to higher management to erase short shipment.